Sunday, March 1, 2015

One Goat for Azazel



Scapegoats and Cycling 

I decided number of months ago to try to take cycling seriously, or at least give a more dedicated effort to the sport in hopes of seeing some improvement and, to an extent, in hopes of drawing a greater degree of enjoyment from passing time on the bike. Neither have really happen, but that is besides the point.

It is hard to express how much I hate riding my bike right now; cycling has become a scapegoat in my life. What I mean by this is that everything bad in my life, all my resentment, fear, anger, and hurt.. all of these emotions seem to pile up and express themselves as disgust with the prospect of riding my bike.

I didn’t realize it, however the term Scapegoat  actually originates in the Old Testament. In Leviticus 16 God speaks to Moses regarding the process by which Aaron may enter the Most Holy Place behind the inner curtain where the ark resides and there God is present. Part of the instruction is for Aaron to choose two male goats, cast lots over them, one of which will be slaughtered as an offering to the Lord, and one which will be designated to carry the sins of the people into the wilderness of Azazel. 

One goat for God, and one goat for Azazel.

The problem is, that I am riding the goat into the wilderness. I mount up and drive myself into the desert, and return worse off than when I left the metal goat having carried me back. 

What is interesting is that Jesus came to be both goats. He is the one that carries our sins, He is the one who's sacrificial blood tore the inner curtain and provided a way for the people to “freely” enter into God’s presence.

Does this make God the scapegoat? Am I permitted to place my messed up life in his hands, and say “it’s your problem now, carry that shit to a desolate land.”

I think so. The writer of Hebrews states in chapter 9 that “With his own blood-not the blood of goats and calves—he entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever.”


Christ mediates a new covenant which supersedes all others.

No comments:

Post a Comment